Adding a map to the Geography View

(Gramps version : AIO64-5.1.1-1, Operating System: Win10)

Hello,

I’ve found that geographic map web site and would know if it is possible to add it to the Gramps Geography view?

URL looks like that when zooming into the map:
http://rumsey.geogarage.com/maps/cassinige.html?lat=48.77791275550184&lon=2.5927734375&zoom=6

@PLegoux, you might also like mapire.eu. See also this older discussion.

1 Like

Impossible to do. See the feature request: #4782

The map format is incompatible with the osm-gps-map library. I asked to the géoportail (IGN). I never received a correct answer.

1 Like

All the maps there can be geo-referenced in i.e. QGIS, and saved as OSM files or some other fileformat the “osm-gps-map library” can support…

How to import that geo referenced map to Gramps, I have no clue how to do… But all the raster maps in that and any other collection can be geo-referenced in QGIS, SAGA, or any number of other GIS software with some level of features.

But you need to ask the developers to implement some way to import those geo-referenced maps, if you don’t already know how to do that…

Personally I think you would be better of if you exported your places to a csv file from gramps and then imported that fille to a geo referenced raster map in QGIS or SAGA.
but I am a big supporter of interchangeable formats and interoperability between software…

1 Like

I downloaded the whole map from cassini and its size is around 8.5gb.
If someone can transform this hierarchy from an image size of 512x512 to a size of 256x256, we might have a cassini map available in gramps.
A script to do that should be very interesting.
Don’t forget the format must be #Z/#Y/#X

I’m not sure this what you want to do but XnView, freeware for any OS flavour, have a batch function. Select pictures you want to change, i.e to resize them, define wanted ratio, here 50%, define an output directory if you want and let’s go.

XnView is not available on linux.

I have 182000 images to convert :wink:

The real problem is to divide an image in 4 parts and to rename them.

1 Like

I try this batch on one 500x500 px square picture:

• export 1/4 left top to filename_1
  • 1/4 right top to filename_2
  • etc

Original:
test 4 x4

Automaticaly cutted parts:
test 4 x4_1
test 4 x4_2
test 4 x4_3
test 4 x4_4

If you put them side by side:
![test 4 x4_1|250x250](upload://v3fLfZrWJZXShPkr0D9l8SCtn4c.jpeg)![test 4 x4_2|250x250](upload://kGYQEX9Kkhj9uCcINr9DcJIbrA0.jpeg)![test 4 x4_3|250x250](upload://5FxASFiMMzCEXd6XROsoTtavWbA.jpeg)![test 4 x4_4|250x250](upload://qsZ4mPntqOnwxJXk1brw4UC1ZhR.jpeg)

test 4 x4_1test 4 x4_2test 4 x4_3test 4 x4_4

On XnView website you can find debian distributions:

If you want I can try to cut some of your pictures, give me a ftp url to download them

I can’t much about Linux and best batch tool to use, but you can use ImageMagick
Here is one link that may help:
Batch Resize Images using Linux Command Line and Imagemagick • (wp-bullet.com)
This is only for resize, but I do think its possible to split an image to…
Here is one post I found that might help, the answer is in the last comment:
Divide image into 4 quadrants - ImageMagick

Else you can use python and a library that is called PIL (I don’t know anything about it, so don’t know if its actually useable for this)
How to batch resize multiple images in Python (via PIL library) - HolyPython.com

I think ImageMagick or GraphicMagick might be the best options because of its support of large amount of image formats.

I don’t know if possible and how it would be done in QGIS or SAGA for batch processing, but I know QGIS have some options for saving works in different formats and different sizes where needed.

This is a GUI application. Does this application exist in a “batch” way? 182,000 images are impossible to divide with this tool. It would take too long.
After that, the problem will be to manage the hierarchical place of these images in #Z/#Y/#X
I think it will be a very difficult and long task.

XnView* are not free applications because the sources are not available.

I think it will be easier with a real free tool called ImageMagick. It’s available in batch mode.

We can do that with : convert -crop 256x256 img.jpg img_%d.jpg

Yes, that works. Need to make a script to create all images.
I think it will be a very long process. The problem is not to divide the images, but to recreate the image tree.