Web page creation fails on double back slashes in filename

Yes. I had similar problems in my Windows 10 VM, and now that all media can be found, the report works fine. This suggests that those double backslashes only show up under some weird condition, that Dave probably knows more about.

I originally thought it was the double back slashes, but was wrong, It was not being able to find some media items.
Now that all the media items are linked, Iā€™,m going to try it again, but first have to resolve another problem (but donā€™t think that will stop the production of web pages.

Did the Narrative Web page report and I now have some web pages.
Looks like I need to review the add-ons to improve the web site.

There might also be a path length issue here too. If the total count of all characters (including punctuation and spaces) in the name of a file, plus that of the path to the location where you are creating the NWR, exceeds the limit for your operating system, you may not be able to create the NWR.

And as a quite separate but even more likely problem, if you attempt to read a successfully created NWR from a location that already has a pathlength of significant size, the length that matters is the sum of the two paths. i.e. the character count of the file at the time of creation of the NWR, plus also the real length of the path to the NWR starting folder, which can inadvertently be quite long. Typically the top-level html files will load, but as soon you navigate to pages that have links to images which originally contained long path lengths the operating system will not find them, because it has to add the two paths together. The same NWR may be completely readable, and successfully load all images, as long as it is read directly off the root level of a specific device such as a USB memory stick, but may fail if it is for example located within a folder with a long-winded name on someoneā€™s ā€œDestopā€ [which itself has a real but fairly unpredictable path length], all of which add up. Even worse, this latter problem may not be noticed until someone finally stumbles onto that part of the NWR where there happen to be long filenames on imagesā€¦

On Windows systems, the absolute maximum path length is 256 characters, but to be safe it is advisable to limit filenames to less than about 100.

There are very useful pathlength checker utilities for situations like this.

You can override this limitation by making the changes described here: How to Make Windows 10 Accept File Paths Over 260 Characters

Issue has been resolved. EVERYONE - PLEASE STOP RESPONDING!

Please mark the solution. Then Discourse will remond people it is already resolved.

I tried to mark the solution, but it ended up with marking the wrong solution. How do I unmark the solution.

I think you just click again. (Hard to be certain because Discourse behaves differently for people having different rights.) So the solution has now been unticked.

I read through but couldnā€™t tell which item actually resolved your issueā€¦ except that it was not related to double-backstroke as originally thought.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.