Need help with experimental DNA gramplet

Hi Y’all. I’ve been absent for some time and I seem to have missed a lot, so this is catch.up for me. Please excuse if this has already been answered.

First, I think the move to Discourse is great and I’m trying to set up a similar discussion group for my own genealogy surname group.

But my current issue is that I have successfully (at least without error) installed the experimental DNA gramplet:

@Nick-Hall,
I have created a new experimental DNA gramplet. You can install it manually for v5.1 by copying the DNA directory here into your plugins folder.

All looks good but I don’t see how to enter the atDNA segment data.The gramplet window is blank and I see nothing in Attributes or Associations. What did I do wrong?

@sturdy2 You need do make an association called DNA and attach a note with comma separated values for the matching data.

One line in the note has following values:

• chromosome
  • start position
  • end position
  • paternal or maternal side (unknown / both are currently misssing)
  • centimorgans

Example for one line:
12,128537287,133656064,P,17.7

I’ll look again at this shortly.

I have been entering data for the experimental DNA gramplet and have a couple questions

First, why is the paternal/maternal flag in each line of the Association Note? Shouldn’t this be determined based on the relationship of the 2 people? That is, the segment list could be paternal for the active person but maternal for the associated person. Determining the m/p would allow the data (Association Note) to be in a reciprocal association rather than having a slightly different Note for each.

Second, if I have 8 people that I have DNA segment information with the active person, they would have 8 Associations. When I run the gramplet I get 8 graphs. I am not sure how useful 8 different un-identified graphs would be. Would it be better to color code and put on a single graph, for instance? DNA Painter example does it this way. I am not sure how I would use the info yet, so I don’t really know the most useful way to represent the results.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.