Im looking for native event types instead several custom types

Hi everyone. I changed almost all my custom event types to native. But some of them are a bit specific. Maybe you have idea which existing event type is the best for them?

1. Acknowledgment - Official recognition or appreciation from the government or employer.
  2. Conviction - Legal declaration of guilt in court followed by subsequent arrest.
  3. Arrest, Arrest Release - Detainment by law enforcement, followed by release.
  4. Prosecution Rehabilitated - Rehabilitation by the prosecution due to unjust arrest (repressions).
  5. Charity - Participation in charitable events.
  6. Concert - Participation in a concert (on stage).
  7. Memory - Mention of a person in any document in the background. The main value of this event lies in the fact that we understand that on this date the person was still alive.
  8. Deceased’s Memory - Same as above, but from the context, it’s understood that the person has already passed away.
  9. Disappeared - The disappearance of a person not related to their involvement in military actions. It also doesn’t imply that they immigrated somewhere.
  10. Enrollment - One of the documents stated that the person was enrolled as a “peasant at the court of a landlord.” From the context, this is more likely a change in social class. Theoretically, it could also mean the transfer of a peasant from another village or a change of ownership. Although this option is less likely.
  11. Family Separation - Separation that was not officially formalized.
  12. Lottery - Winning in a lottery.
  13. Meeting - Meeting with someone.
  14. Order Book - Order book of the Soviet era, a document.
  15. Trade Union - Trade union membership card of the Soviet era. This document indicated a person’s membership in a trade union.
  16. Transferred to yard peasants - This is also an event.
  17. Courtship - Non-official process when a young man seeks permission for marriage from the bride’s parents.

Event: Military Service
Description: Desertion or Disserted. In the U.S. we would use A.W.O.L. Absent Without Leave

1 Like

Sometimes people did not want to live in slavery and ran away from the landlords. And it is not related to the military or war.

My bad. The little word ‘not’ did not register. The only native option would be Occupation with Descriptions related to their serfdom.

There are some you have that do not relate to any category of native options. One that stands out is I created an event Legal with various descriptions related to arrest, the court process and outcomes, etc. I hacked the file gramps\gen\lib\eventtype.py and added it as a set event and under the category “Legal”.

Note: you can add other event types to your hacked code but you cannot (currently) add Category options. They can be renamed, and events moved around but the number of categories cannot be increased.

But I understand you not wanting to hack the code too.

1 Like

It sounds good. But what happen after the next upgrade? Will the app crash or maybe “Legal” type will be moved to “Custom” section?

If this type is needed not only by me, then maybe it should be added to the project with a commit? Looking at the set of custom types that I have, for example, I would suggest adding at least the following types to the project:

• Legal → Legal
  • Other → Mention
  • Other → Document (not sure, maybe it should be added as a citation, not event)
    All others I think are too specific.

I propose to discuss about additional types in Gramps. Does it make sence?

Anyway, after each upgrade I do several hacks in code specially for me. One more hack isnt a problem ))).

It would be useful to have standard marker events in Gramps that would help it evaluate Estimated birth and death.

But “Extant” and “Deceased” (or “Late”) in English would be more familiar than “Memory” and “Deceased’s Memory”.

Let’s say that your Person had a Residence/Extant/Attended Event in 1858 and a Death approximation of “after 1845”, then Gramps could calculate a better approximate based on that event and the “maximum age probably alive” limit in Preferences (default of 110 years) to refine that approximation to “calculated between 1858 and 1968”. And when a 1820 Residence is added, It can be further refined by that date plus 110 … to “calculated between 1858 and 1930”

Obituaries typically have a place of Residence for living relatives. So a Residence event is an easy way to mark those people as “Extant”. And there is usually of list of immediate family members who were pre-deceased. And a Death event with a “Before” date of the obituary works for the other.

1 Like

Yeah, thats why I use two separated event types. In this case script can understand that this event - person is live, but that event - is dead

1 Like

I do not argue about translations, my level of English is slightly higher than pre-intermediate )))

1 Like

You are right, Deceased’s Memory could be replaced.

1 Like

But Residence instead of my Memory sounds not so good. Because usually I dont have info about place. For example (I have several hundred such the same events):

A child was born to a man and a woman. They took the godfather and godmother. And the godmother is written as follows: “John Doe’s wife …” And when John Doe died, they write like this: “the wife of the deceased John Doe…” And I am just less interested in the child, and more interested in the godmother and her husband.

It is to this man that I add this event Memory or Deceased’s Memory
Hope my English is clear ))

I use Residence when I understand a place from a document.

The 1989 GEDCOM 4.0 specification has an explicit LVG (Living) tag on Appendix page 20. But that tag not in documented in later versions of GEDCOM. (And Gramps supports the later 5.5.1 version of GEDCOM.)

The best approach might be to discover how a LVG tag would be imported into Gramps? No sense in trying to re-invent the wheel, eh?

Tag Name Definition
LVG LIVING Used to identify information about an individual: indicates that there is no death date or other indication of death for a person born less than 110 years ago.
1 Like

So, all my custom event types above I moved to existing Gramps types and to only 5 custom types:

1. Legal
  2. Mention
  3. Disappeared
  4. Social Class Changing
  5. Unofficial Separation - this is family event

Now my events look much more better. Anyway I hope that the developers will see in this list that some types of event types can be useful for Gramps and will add some of them in future releases. It would be great.

There is a wiki page which we use to collate custom event types. I’m not sure how useful it is now though.

1 Like

Related to this, I have one person in my tree, that moved out of the country and came back 14 years later.

Marking the events of travelling in and out of the country as Emigration and Immigration doesn’t seem like the right words for that. Even if it was a long time, I doubt the intention was for it to be permanent to not come back based on the reasons.

Maybe I should create a custom type with one of those travel ones.

There have been threads mentioning the possibility using “Waypoint” in the past for dated transitional locations

I created custom “Port of Departure”, “Port of Arrival”, and “Port of Transit”. The Transit port is not something you often find information.

I agree, Emigration and Immigration are specific to leaving one’s homes country to start a new life in another.

I don’t know if I like any of those ones, I may just mark a custom type of “Travel”.
I don’t know exact port or locations where they travelled from/to yet. I just know the person/his family left certain month one year with a certain intention, and came back X year.

I think I will sleep on it more.

For reference (doesnt matter), the intention behind the travel, is in this case work, for Salvation Army. This case may be a little grey zone.

I use RESIdence events for this, since there is no intention to stay permanently.

1 Like