How do you manage your research contacts?

There are lots of ways to mark your brick walls.

You could use Tags… but I like to reserve those for extremely Temporary use because a long Tag list is overwhelming. (And SLOWS down Tag use.)

You could use a shared brickwall note. But while that’s great for keeping a harmonized master notebook, it is not very visible. Sharing an image is something that would also show in a lot of the Charts & visualization tools. You could use an animated GIF like:
https://i.gifer.com/2zzW.gif or https://media1.giphy.com/media/h8DLTFQf4c2Xr8PhWy/200.gif. But I prefer an icon sized GIF instead. Looking at the References tab for that Media object is your list of brick walls.

ToDo Notes are the general mechanism for manual task management. I also reserved the highest ranking 3 ToDo notes for higher priority purposes.

The ToDo Gramplet lets you scroll through your list of ToDos but how it decided which are at top of the list is opaque & baffling. So I created 3 additional ToDo notes and transcribed the arbitrary top 3 then shared to their References. That allowed me to blank the top 3 for re-use in other purposes.

There’s an experimental ToDo Gramplet but I haven’t found a viable workflow for it. It’s too quirky.

As for tracking people with special interest, that’s just a People filter… looking for living descendants of a person who have a ‘Genealogist’ occupation. Because the descendants can be a long processing filter, I tend to use a temp Tag. It allows me to expand or strip the list. (I might want to start with the parents instead to include 1st cousin descendants. Or might expand the descendant to include genealogists within a couple degrees of separation from the genetic descendants.) After finding the Living Genealogists among the Tagged people, I’ll send those people a notification & flush the temp Tag.

For historically significant ancestors (who have unrelated researchers or where a professional genealogist was hired) I’ve added a Note to the ancestor… with that Note shared to the unrelated Researcher’s profile.

Some of the Genealogist have a DoNotContact custom attribute and so I filter them out. (They’re just people who don’t like to accept help, are needy, are disagreeable, or are leeches. Not because I have any ‘restraining order’ custom attributes… yet.)