Help Understanding Family Search Citation

Repositories don’t show up on most reports. The sources and citations are useful for me because I’ve included the details that I want to see. I have probably gone overboard, but here are a couple of examples.

1. For a microfilm that contains several church books, I use the title of the microfilm in the source, but the title of the particular book within the microfilm in the citation. Here is how it all appears in the endnotes of a report:

(source:) Catholic Church. Holy Angels (Buffalo, New York), “Baptisms, marriages, deaths, confirmations 1852-1894”, Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1982
(citation:) Records of marriages 1887-1894, page 13, number 12 - 1888-06-20
\https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS45-1SQ3-7b

I stored the URL in a Note attached to the citation, and the report picked it up. (For purposes of posting it here in Discourse, I put a backslash in front of it to disable it, just so that you can see the actual URL rather than the page.)

1. For census records, I think of each enumeration district’s book as being a separate source (maybe this could be done at the citation level instead):

United States. Census Office. 10th census, 1880, “New York, Erie County, E.D. 127 (Buffalo) [NARA Series T9, Roll 829]”, Washington, D.C. : National Archives and Records Service, [19–]

Page 29, lines 39-43, dwelling 186, household 314 - 1880-06-08
\https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YBN-9VRB

The examples above are from the Detailed Descendant report. I don’t use reports often, but when I do, I want them to be useful to whomever I send them.

Yes. Keep in mind you can reorder the columns in the views. It would be nice if you could also sort by more than one column at a time (I think there’s an outstanding feature request for that).

In Gramps 5.2, there’s a change to the Citations gramplet that makes it more useful (regardless of how you format things). It will now show the date, page number, and confidence level.

There’s also a new Citation Formatter addon, which I’m looking forward to experimenting with.

I think a better way to do that is to use custom filters in the various views (People, Events, Places).