Handle not found (but it exists)

The Citation Tree is a Citation View, NOT a Source view.

If that is the case, my installation is seriously screwed up…
CitationTree

No, the Citation tree is located with the Sources. But the foundation database for the tree is Citations, not Sources. This is why I and @SNoiraud refer to it as a Citation view.

When I first realized this I moved the tree to be grouped with Citations. Seemed logical. But the reasons for going to the Citation Tree more closely followed with going to Sources than a purely Citation list. And it was more than getting used to a change of work flow or environment. I kept the change grouping with citations for more than 6 months.

I finally reversed my experiment and have not regretted it. Having the Citation Tree grouped with Sources just feels right and as I said it probably has to do with why I need the tree view which is closer to the reasons needing to go to the Source view.

Oooohkay. Well that mind map make more sense to me too but conflicts with the user docs and GUI. So we need to stop arguing about whether it is a Source category view or Citation category view mode. It it true that is a citation oriented feature but exists as Source view mode.

However, I am curious how your workflow conflicted with your experiment of moving that Citation Tree Mode to the Citations category view? My curiosity stems from being unable to integrate using the Citation, Source or Repository views into my workflow.

It is hard to explain. But the reasons for using Citation Tree has more to do with the citations of a source rather than citations in general. When I go to Citations, it is usually to do something to the list as a whole.

I suppose if the Citation Tree had always and forever been with Citations the feel and workflow would be ingrained that way. When I tried the change, even though it was logical, the feel never felt right. The Source in the Citation Tree, even though a citation view, made the grouping with Sources too compelling.

I rarely use Citations and even less the Repository. Most editing of these are done from within other views. Sources I use frequently if nothing else than to move a source to the clipboard, or add a leading tilde (~) to the title to move the source to the top of the list. And I always add sources to be used to the list view not when I am attaching source/citations to a record.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.