Gramps and recording and comparing DNA-matches

if anyone have an hour and want some examples of diagrams that can help with DNA, and that might be possible to implement something similar in Gramps (I do not know), this webinar is free to watch untill 18 March 2020.

It might gove some tips…

And if anyone want another tool that can do this, but are offline open source and free…
Draw.io-desktop or yED are two tools that can be used…
Draw-io can import csv, yED can import csv and gedcom…

@StoltHD I doubt that Gramps is going the way of becoming/including a graph editing software. Gramps focus is handling the database and all reports are generated without futher user input (at least so far).

The software/apps you mentioned have another focus and require users to design the graphs/diagramms manually (or partly automated with templates and/or csv/gedcom parsing).

It was not the software i was thinking about, but some example of Graphs/Diagrams thats shown in the webinar… that might be usefull and possible to implement in Gramps !

The last part about the two apps was just a tip of other software than LucidChart that is totally free and open source…

@StoltHD If you post an image of a chart, then I’ll see what I can do.

@Nick-Hall This video also provides good information about how shared segment matches could be handled by a DNA Gramplet.

1 Like

This article describes attaching DNA Match data to various online Genealogy tools:

Connect Your DNA Test, and Others, to Your Tree
Posted on September 21, 2022

To optimize your DNA tests, each tester needs to take advantage of the features offered by each vendor.
Genealogy Software | DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy

Of particular interest: since 23andMe doesn’t have ANY FamilyTree logging functionality, they added the ability to associate a match with a UID hotlinked to a service.

Do we have an API hook that would let a user leverage such a thing for a local tree? I know that the Notes have a “gramps://<handle>
protocol for internal linking. But is it possible to have a “gramps://<handle>:<tree handle>” protocol that launches Gramps with that tree opens that object editor? (With tree switching, if necessary, when Gramps is already active.)

And I suspect the Gramps web solutions would be an easier alternative.

If possible, maybe 23andMe would be interested in adding Gramps to their web interface.u

I do not research DNA/genome data at the moment, so I can only link to sites and information I think might be of help for those of you that try to implement something useful feature to Gramps.

Like this Swedish/Norwegian software:
https://www.familias.name/

http://www.famlink.se/fx_index.html

It might be that how the work or how they implement functions can be of interest, I really don’t know…
But what I do now is that this software packages are used by forensic geneticists.

I cannot have any thoughts of how you implement or what diagrams/graphs you chose to use, as I have no knowledge about DNA research at all, other that the little I have found in my search for software and libraries the last 5 years or so…
So, the only thing I can provide is tips about research software and libraries that might be very known in the public DNA/genealogy niche.
If it is useful or not for Gramps, that is something I have no knowledge of, that must be up to you as developers to look at, but hopefully it can be of some interest to see other types of professional tools for this type of work.