[Gramps-5.2.0-rc1] ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘setuptools’

Decided to try a different install method rather than waiting for the .deb file followed instructions to install from tarball
Get this error
phil@OldestNuc:~/Downloads/gramps-5.2.0-rc1$ python3 setup.py build
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/phil/Downloads/gramps-5.2.0-rc1/setup.py”, line 35, in
from setuptools import setup, Command
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘setuptools’
phil@OldestNuc:~/Downloads/gramps-5.2.0-rc1$
Probably doing something stupid can someone put me straight
Phil
Python: 3.10.12 (main, Nov 20 2023, 15:14:05) [G…
BSDDB: 6.2.9 (5, 3, 28)
sqlite: 3.37.2 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
Distribution: 6.5.0-15-generic

1 Like

Try installing the packages:

python3-setuptools
intltool

For a number of years, some maintainers have been trying to phase out setup tools in python and gnome. They are pushing pip install instead of setup tools. Back in 2022, Gnome Runtime 41 for flatpaks even dropped setuptools completely before adding it back in later. It frustrated me at the time because until that got resolved, the flatpak had to be reverted back to Gnome Runtime 40. I posted an issue at the time trying to work around it Current problem: had to switch to pip and resource_path not being set · Issue #22 · gramps-project/flatpak · GitHub

I would suggest a pip3 install command be given as an alternative to python3 install at the gramps-project/gramps github INSTALL text. More distros will probably start dropping setup tools, or not adding it back in when other packages drop it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.