GetMyAncestors : a standalone tool to export FamilySearch ancestors

Has anyone had the chance to try the GetMyAncestors Python tool?

It downloads as a GEDCOM but supposedly fully sourced.

1 Like

I see how to download this for Linux but I have switched back to Windows (long story), is there a way to download it for windows?

Go to its GitHub code page and download the zip file. Then all you need to do is extract the folder from within the zip file and put it into your Gramps user plugin folder. gramps\gramps51\plugins

1 Like

thank you! I appreciate your time!

GetMyAncestors isn’t a Gramps add-on. Rather it is a standalone Python tool.

Is the gramps\gramps51\plugins folder the right place to install it?

It is meant to be started from the command line. (Although there is a GUI option.) Maybe it could be run from the Python Shell Gramplet?

It can be installed with PIP, you need to install Python for Windows, and then open a cmd or ps windows, and run the pip installation command mentioned on the page.

To run it, you need to run from a cmd or ps windows with the parameters you need, like the examples on the same page…

Running Python apps/scripts on Windows isn’t any different than on Linux (or it is so minor differences that it actually doesn’t matter.

You can install Python either in “user mode” or as administrator, I never install it as “user” because of the problems I have got when trying to run python apps that needs elevated privileges, so I always install Python for “everyone”, e.g. running the setup as “administrator” and selecting install for “everyone”.

You can also install Anaconda on Windows if you like that environment better, Anaconda runs well from other HDD/SDD than system (C:).

2 Likes

Sorry. I should have looked at the code files. I just assumed it was designed to be a plugin for Gramps and we all know about people that assume.

You do need to install Python and install the folder in the Python Scripts folder then follow @StoltHD 's post.

No reason to apologize…
Not everyone that knows that Python and Conda runs on Windows natively…

I wrote most of it so other people that is curious could see that it wasn’t a Gramps tool…

I installed python but cannot figure out where the darn folder is! I wish this type of thing wasn’t such a struggle for me!

never mind, I found it

well, apparently I am just not smart enough to do this! I’ve tried what you all have told me. Done multiple internet searches and can’t get anywhere. I used to be good at this sort of thing but tech has just past me by so much that I am lost with the most simple sounding things. I can get to the file through the command line or by right clicking and open with python but nothing happens. I know I am doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it is. If anyone has time to help me understand what I am doing wrong, I would be forever grateful.

Perhaps I am trying the wrong file? which of the many files is that actual install file?

It took a lot of iterations before the Gramps install and use became useable by mere mortals. We’ll have to be prepared to endure a bit of torture to evolve the install & access to this tool to such a point.

I’d expect a couple weeks of experimenting… spread out so much to allow for getting your fingers burnt and a bit of recovery time.

Remember, never import a foreign format into your main Tree. Import into in a fresh, blank Tree and defuse all the IEDs. It is easier to replace a “blowed up” sapling tree than a mature one.

Then import the defanged backup (in .gramps or .gpkg format) into your primary Tree.

I agree with all of that, but I can not get this stand alone program to even open, so no worries about messing up my tree. I may be able to figure it out eventually

I’ve put in an inquiry in their issue tracker too. I may do some experimenting with installing & command line access under Windoze.

But I cannot afford the bandwidth to do lots of downloading tests. I’d hit my data-cap. (Yikes! I’ve already used 3/4 of this cycle’s allocation while only 1/2 thru!)

1 Like

You put the entire folder with all the GetMyAncestors files in the Python39\Scripts folder.

Then you open the Windows PowerShell window and run pip install getmyancestors. This will create the application files in the Scripts folder.

The ReadMe file has all the command lines that you will actually run from the PowerShell.

I have not taken it past creating all the application files. Have not experimented actually trying to download information.

1 Like

The other day I mentioned the following

It would be great if GetMyAncestors could be made part of a single addon with a drop down list for each of the websites you want to import from directly into Gramps!

2 Likes

Did a test.

You can take the fstogedcom file and make a shortcut file on your desktop (or anywhere). Running this file runs using a GUI window.

It will ask you to log into FamilySearch. The program adds you to the download list which you will want to delete. Then you add the Center Person by their FamilySearch ID and how many generations and what to download.

Within 1.5 minutes I had a GEDCOM with 790 people as a test.

DO NOT Import directly into your database.It would probably be best to download a single family or 1 generation up or down. It would take a lot of Cleaning to bring it into your main tree.

3 Likes

THANK YOU!!! working now!

2 Likes

You shouldn’t need to know where the folder is, running Python on Windows…

You don’t need to download any folders, just run
pip (or pip3) install from powershell or cmd window…

Installation
The easiest way to install getmyancestors is to use pip:

pip install getmyancestors
from pypi.org: https://pypi.org/project/getmyancestors/

If you run Python 3.10 it might be that you need to upgrade babelfish to 0.6.0 to get it running…
You will get a warning, but it seems that it works.

I am running a “stupid” download of data now…

I set 30 generations for both settings, and used myself as starting individ (just for fun of it).
will post the statistics when its finished…

• “I think those of you that want to try this should be careful with the setting, specially the Descendants generations… It can be a lot of “items” to download for those of you that have a lot of relations…”

EDIT (after 400-500 minutes):

it did not complete, Python Error read chunk … but here is the statistic from when it stopped (ex. timer, that still runs)…

3 Likes

Cross-posting from the XML thread: