Can i have a automatically generate person ID?

Hello,

i am new to gramps. I am on Linux/Ubuntu with gramps 5.1.5.

I switched to gramps from an very old, long unsupported programm and imported all my data from an GEDCOM file.
I noticed that in gramps i have to give an ID to a person i newly create.
The IDs are in a format , where nnnn are numbers, going from 0001 to 9999.
Do i have always to remember which number was the last used?
Can i have this ID automaticaly generated by gramps?
I did RTFM… but found no answer.

regards
Anhalter

What do you mean by automatically generated ?
By default, gramps use an unused ID because this ID must be unique.

It was my intention that gramps would be generating the IDs.
But there is an empty field “ID” on the input mask for a new person.
And i got an error message by letting this field simply empty.

What is this error ? can you attach a snapshot ?
Did you change the preferences ?
Edit->preferences…->ID formats

This is a misunderstanding. The ID is initially blank in case you WANT to manually add a custom ID. If you do not enter an ID, an ID will be be automatically generated. An error meesage might occur if you enter a space or duplicate ID.

An ID is automatically generated for each New Object when you click the ‘OK’ button and Gramps validates then ‘commits’ the data to the Tree. The automatic ID is sequential, based on the format specified in the ID formats tab of Gramps Preferences.

Because you can have SEVERAL new object dialogs open and might commit (or cancel) them in any order, the ID is not determined until the commit. The sequential number is decided by order of ‘commit’ not order of dialog spawning.

An Error might also occur if you have somehow managed to create a Person with a NULL id.

I suggest that you check this in the 1) People category’s 2) People list view mode and click the 3) “ID” column header to sort by ID. Look at the top AND the bottom of the list. If there are any that appear blank or ‘odd’, open that Person and assign a new ID.

Gramps IDs can also be resequenced with the Reorder Gramps ID tool.

Hello,

thanks for all the answers and the hints.
Obviously i have to apologize as this was all my fault.
Yesterday i tried creating new persons and it worked as expected without any problems.
So i clearly did something wrong (space or such in ID field or else) with my first four new persons.
Thanks again for your help!

Have a nice weekend
regards
Anhalter

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.