Adding media and citations, scanned sources, digital only sources. Discussion

The OCR in question is embedded as a second layer on the PDFs when downloading them. Its usually only on stuff that isnt handwritten and relatively easy to read. Newspapers or magazines for example. I then dont see any point making my own transcription in a note.

Obviously I dont use that OCR to put info in to my tree, I read from the document for that.

1 Like

Agree with you. I only make transcription for ā€œCensusā€ type. Its because these documents have a lot of inaccuracies, errors and typos. Sometimes there are even mistakes in the composition of the family. So, I must transacribe all the documents, analyze all them say in a Google-sheet, find all typos, fix them. And only then I add people, their age etc. But since I already have the transcribed data in a google spreadsheet, I add it to the notes as well. But in this case, the use of notes is not the primary cause, but a consequence.
Incidentally, when I make corrections to the transcribed data, I try to preserve the original as well. I do it like this:

Firstname Lastname - wrong age [recte correct age]

I find many errors in documents but donā€™t feel I need to correct them. The data I enter in the event is as accurate as determined by all the data collected. The published records are taken as they were published. The citations support my reasoning recorded in the event. Census records are often incorrect because the taker took it down wrong or the person giving the information didnā€™t remember the correct dates or the persons name (or they rounded up or down the dates). I have also seen multiple Baptism or multiple death records, or Burial before the death. My take is that the most records with the same info wins. Then there are the transcript errors done by the big genealogy sites. They even have the listed village in the wrong county. I could keep going, but it is time to stop.

1 Like

Secondary reason for me not using Wiki Tree

Primary
I do not have trees on Wiki or FamilySearch because people other than myself can alter the content

My tree is mine I happy receiving Hints aka Ancestry FMP etc but no one alters my tree but me.

phil

Think that takes us back to the argument
Repository, Source, Citation, Aggregator
phil

Are you taking your base as an available transcription or the original document image.
Do you mean if the census says 22 and you can prove that the actual age is 25 you change the data you record with regard the Census for your transcription.

phil

Phil, I somewhat agree with you. I upload to WikiTree because I like to see my work in the Global Tree, but I have little interest maintaining it. The byproduct is that there are over 100,000 users looking at what I have published and they have found errors with my work. It also can fill in branches on the tree that I have not gone down. Iā€™m currently collaborating with a distant relative in Australia. She has records that I have not found yet. She has actually visited many Church sites. Just like you Iā€™m the only one that changes the Gramps data.

People also lie on census returns.

2 Likes

If Page/Volume is the right place for URL, it would be nice if both Gramps Web/Narrated Web Site/ Dynamic Web Report(And maybe other reports?) detected them and made them clickable.

Seems like the ā€œComplete Individual Reportā€ does do it, but if the formatting makes the link on multiple lines, it stops working properly. So I am guessing its the PDF generator that does it and not the report.

Could maybe just detect ā€œhttpā€ and do it based on that.

I am then guessing publication info in the source is not the right place for the URL either.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.