About Gramps usage and organization to store and research

i still wonder what the meaning of this is.

I think that means: off-the-shelf PCs sold at chain retail stores are Windows OS.

that is mostly true. however i have seen a laptop that came with Linux at a Best Buy store.

2 Likes

The MacPorts project has quite a bit of support for very old systems. However, our buildbot is unable to build Gramps 5.1.3 for PowerPC (under OS/X 10.5) as at least one of the dependencies (py36-pyicu) won’t build on that configuration:

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.5_ppc_legacy-builder/builds/93215/steps/install-dependencies/logs/stdio

There are a surprising number of people (to me, at least) who are running old PPC macs.

Craig

PPC’swas great for DTP and graphic/video, many people hold on to older MAC’s because of some of the graphic/video software, that doesn’t support MAC on x86 architecture, it has actually forced Apple to update some of their old software if I don’t remember wrong…

But some time in a software’s life, the developers just need to set a line of deprecated platforms and OS versions for new versions of the software…
Because it start to be a security risk for any system connecting to a network to use aged libraries.

It was the last system that ran the 3d product (for making video on micros) I product managed. (The founder mismanaged the company from leader-of-industry to out-of-business.)

You are not working on a proprietary project but a free project.
I don’t like that. some people want to use their old PC.

Still, at some point software need to update and deprecate som platforms to stay safe, if people want to use that old software they must actually take the consequences and use outdated software.
It doesn’t matter if its proprietary or open source, developers need to take responsibility for the software and be sure that it use updated and secure libraries. else the project will die by bad reputation.

If I would find any vulnerability in Gramps and the developers didn’t fix that, I would warn ANY and EVERY person I know to even install it, even if it ment to stop using a feature because of a unsecure 3rd party library.

sorry, but there are really no reason today to run on a 15-20 years old system, and if you do, you can’t think that software developer support those systems with the newest versions of their software.
It’s unsafe, even on a BSD, Linux or Unix system.