Novice user UX proposed solution

This is why such a thing doesn’t exist

solved

solved

Why did you say that ?
By default the IDs are defined with a letter followed be 4 zeroes.
In the default gramps file, I setted 5 zeroes. During the import, the result will be 4 zeroes.

In this case, you must have a gramps database and the first time, you cannot import it because you don’t have one. This feature is not available.

Not every distribution propose the example.gramps file. If we put this gramps default file in the same directory, we’ll have the same problem: no files

I used an embedded file due to the translations strings for name, surname, brother, …

1 Like

Nice!

I may be using ‘hard-coded’ and ‘embedded’ incorrectly. In this of dbman.py , I used them as the same. Sorry. Your very important point about the Examples (where that folder is not always being distributed) was not something I had understood.

I only noticed because my ID Formats settings are difference from the defaults. (I quickly outstripped the leading zeros capacity of 10,000 for events. At 4 events per person, that happens at just 2500 people … and I often had 10 or more events per person & marriage. So I set Persons & Events to 7, all the others except Repositories to 6. Repositories I left at 4.) The following capture shows my settings (I%07d) and how the Person IDs were still created with the original Gramps default (I%04d). So the creation of IDs ignored my gamps.ini Preferences setting.
This may be important for when Gramps is translated to different alphabets. The “I” is a mnemonic abbreviation for “Individual” in English. But the kanji glyph for Person is 人 … so a Japanese Gramps might have a (人%04d) ID format. (I do not know how the rest of the format string translates. Google translate says Zero is 零 and four is 四 but the percentage sign and ‘d’ counter?)

I had not been able to test how the embedded name strings converted. (Maybe we need to recruit a beta tester who uses something other than a Latin/Roman alphabet? Gramps for Kanji is only at 38.7%. Hebrew is the only one at 100%. Maybe @avma will join the conversation) That’s why asked if the Relationship Calculator routine be used to Define the Given name. It seemed like it would be more flexible if Feedback indicated it was desirable to add placeholder for another relationship. (Or if someone was using a customized Gramps fork… like the animal pedigree fork.) Maybe the embedded option would handle such complexities?

The people this feature is going to target are like
the new user in this thread.

The step back into the Family Tree Manager is going to be an ongoing hitch in the process.

Once you select to create the placeholder tree or select a file to Import, Gramps ought to just create the tree with default name, populate it with data & load the new tree.

It should never come back to the Family Tree Manger … or automatically select the load button if Gramps HAS to return to that dialog in order to dismiss it as the parent dialog.

The renaming of the Tree is an unimportant & distracting step at this stage. The tree can be renamed later when the user is more accustomed to Gramps.

1 Like

I agree that first time a tree is created, the tree should automatically be loaded.
I dont see any negative of doing that that actually matter compared to the benefit for new people.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.