The idiosyncracies of the GTK file chooser used throughout Gramps has sparked confusion leading to a number of support issues.
I know that the feature needs to be fully documented in its own wiki page. Nuggets of information are scattered, there is conflicting & incomplete introductory material in different places. It has to be consolidated and introduced in a structured way. Then the wiki has to be searched and cleaned so that all references (including the linking into a new GUI Gramps Glossary entry) point at the new consolidation.
But it will be such a different page that I’m waffling over HOW it should be structured.
I need thoughts & direction. (There’s already a missing page hotlinked added in the latest revision to the
example.gramps page. So building a page has to be hurried before someone creates a sketchy patchwork just to fix the broken link.)
It might follow the How do I…? tutorial template. But I’d like it to be cleaner and far less complex.
I know that it needs to cover:
- GUI differences between Dialogs for Linux, Windows & macOS OSes
- URI & network support differences between OSes
- themes and the GUI
- switching between breadcrumbs & filepaths (including changing the default)
- relative paths for User Data & application data
- the difference between GTK file chooser and and OS file chooser
- customizing bookmarked folders
- cross pollination between GTK driven applications and customizations of the file chooser
- keybindings (hotkeys, keyboard shortcuts)
- persistent paths
- link to developer docs (GTK generic & Gramps specific)